Sunday, November 11, 2007

Modi and Tehelka: Democracy, secularism? Excuse me

Modi men were caught on camera bragging about their sordid acts, which we all knew very well about. Without state complicity the mass level violence of this kind could not be sustained for so long. What probably has shocked us – assuming it has – is the shamelessly remorseless way of admitting it. But then, if we think it is shameless, there is something wrong in our vision. Mr. Modi is not a passionate Hindu, he is just a politician and the carnage was nothing more and nothing less than a political ploy to mobilize votes. The fact that he was voted back in power is proof enough that he did not play the wrong card. This time again, the Tehelka expose, though appreciable, would only benefit him. He is lucky to reap the fruits of what he sowed twice. The riots will doubly fructify for him. So, what was he playing upon? It was and is the egoism of the Hindus and their self-image which is far from flattering. The collective pride of the Hindus seems to have been badly injured making them angry and making them see themselves as a cowardly lot, which is why they seem to be appreciative of violence because violence is the way to assert one’s dominance over others. Non-violence as the tool of the brave is certainly good to hear and might also carry substance but we have not been away from our roots in the jungle for long enough to realize it. In nature, might is right and human beings still see it that way subconsciously. Therefore, Modi is not the problem, we are. He is nothing more than the unification of our collective demonic selves. It is we personified and of course we hate him just like an ugly man hates the mirror. He gave us what we wanted and what we deserved and if it is shameful and sickening, it is we who are sick. He’ll be voted back in power because it is just emergence of symptoms, wait for the diagnosis and the cure will, of course, come much later. Let’s be thoroughly ashamed first. Let’s first learn how to hang our heads in shame before we even dream of holding it high. What democracy, what secularism?

1 comment:

Credit Loan Solution said...



My name is Leah Brown, I'm a happy woman today? I told myself that any loan lender that could change my life and that of my family after having been scammed separately by these online loan lenders, I will refer to anyone who is looking for loan for them. It gave me and my family happiness, although at first I had a hard time trusting him because of my experiences with past loan lenders, I needed a loan of $300,000.00 to start my life everywhere as single mother with 2 children, I met this honest and God fearing online loan lender Gain Credit Loan who helped me with a $300,000.00 loan, working with a loan company Good reputation. If you are in need of a loan and you are 100% sure of paying the loan please contact (gaincreditloan1@gmail.com)